Dr. Madhu S. Gupta
Office: Room 4235, EBU1
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-1309
Dr. Gupta received his Ph.D. from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and presently also serves as the RF Communications Systems Industry Chair Professor at San Diego State University, and as the Director of SDSU Communication Systems and Signal Processing Institute. Dr. Gupta is an IEEE Fellow; the recipient of the 2008 Distinguished Microwave Educator Award from IEEE Microwave Theory & Techniques Society; a Distinguished Microwave Lecturer for that Society; a past Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters and of IEEE Microwave Magazine; and has served as the Chair of the Technical program Committee of the International Microwave Symposium for 2010, and as the Editor of three IEEE Press books.
Link for more detailed biography: http://electrical.sdsu.edu/faculty/gupta.htm
- RF and microwave engineering. High-frequency semiconductor devices; RF electronics for low-noise and wireless communication applications; low-noise technology and its system applications; RF integrated circuits; microwave networks and components; RF packaging.
- Noise in semiconductor devices, circuits, and systems. Theory of fluctuations in devices and other thermodynamic systems; low-noise devices; device noise models and characterization; fundamental limitations of devices that are active, nonlinear, and small.
- Engineering Education. Instructional design and evaluation.
Selected Illustrative Publications
RF and Microwave Engineering
- M. S. Gupta, "Degradation of Power Combining Efficiency due to Variability Among Signal Sources," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1031-1034, May 1992.
- M. S. Gupta, "Power Gain in Feedback Amplifiers, A Classic Revisited," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 864-879, May 1992.
- M. S. Gupta, "Automotive Radar," in The RF and Microwave Handbook, M. Golio, ed., (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2001), pp. 216-225.
Noise and Fluctuations
- M. S. Gupta, "Conductance Fluctuations in Mesoscopic Conductors at Low Temperatures," Invited Paper, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 2093-2106, November 1994.
- M. S. Gupta "Nonlinear Noise Analysis in Modern Wireless Communication Systems," Proc. Wireless Symposium and Portable Design Conference, San Jose, February 2000.
- M. S. Gupta, "Noise Models for RF SOI MOS Transistors," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC2004) Digest of Papers, pp. 13A1-13A4, December 2004.
- M. S. Gupta, "Framing Questions to Attain Higher Educational Objectives," IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 94-105, August 2007.
- M. S. Gupta, "Learning Methods of Problem Solving," IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 134-148, 165, October 2008.
- M. S. Gupta, "Teaching to Facilitate the Transfer of Learning," IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 48-59, February 2010.
- M. S. Gupta, "Enhancing the Learning Value of Worked Examples," IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 40-57, December 2010.